Monday, April 18, 2011

Holy Week: Palm Sunday

The Sunday before Christ was crucified is one of his glorious stories. He had recently rose Lazarus from the dead and as the news spread the people began to see him as the King he truly was. As He entered Jerusalem on a donkey (fulfilling the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9) the people waved branches and spread clothes along his path. John mentions that one of the branches they wave are palm branches- an emblem of Judea that appeared on their coins. The palms branches were also necessary for survival- cutting them down would cause a loss of food and livelihood. So by waving these branches the people were offering to sacrifice their own comforts to give their Kind a royal luxury. What a beautiful way to welcome Christ into their city and lives!

I've been trying to find a way to celebrate the happenings of each day of Christ's last week. For Palm Sunday we had a little FHE on the story and symbolisms and then hung 'palm' leaves to remind us to welcome Christ into our home. I also pulled out our Nativity puppets and made us a little Palm Sunday set up (we'll have to borrow someone's kids sometime so we can act the story out- it's just not the same with two adults...)

Have you ever celebrated Palm Sunday or Easter Week? What did you do? I'd love some good ideas!




(if you want more info on celebrating Easter Week, check out these books- I love them both- God So Loved The World by Eric Huntsman (this one is full of scriptural info and photos of the holy land- great for adult scripture study) and A Christ-Centered Easter by Janet and Joe Hales (this one has a day by day layout of short stories and activities for all of Easter week. It's mainly for kids, but I guess I'm a kid at heart because I like doing most the stuff too))

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Thanks! I needed these ideas so much! I just bought matzo to eat at dinner but Andrew has to work late tonight so it is just Luke and I eating matzo and he doesn't get it AT ALL.

The palm leaves are a beautiful symbol. I'll try that next!