Sunday, April 17, 2011

Discoving Easter

So, I'm on a quest to change the world.

Or at least to share my opinions with the few people who will actually read all the way through this post.

It makes me sad that religious holidays have developed themselves into meaningless celebrations of nothing. And it makes me double sad that when I do try to cram religion into a holiday it always ends up being the boring part. (I mean, I do love the story of Christ's resurrection but hastily reading aloud chapters from the Bible before bedtime on Easter Day has never been super inspiring or, honestly, very enjoyable to me. Especially compared with eating basket-fulls of candy.) Now, I'd like to mention that I'm no against Easter egg hunts or chocolate bunnies or anything like that. I just want to get the religious side of Easter to a place where it can compete with those things both in importance and in the amount of fun we have.

I've made the goal to find new Easter traditions that allow us to enjoy the religious side of Easter and I thought I'd share them here so that (a) I'll be commited to keep it up all week, (b) I can hear if any of you have good celebration ideas and (c) maybe, just maybe, someone out there will read these posts and think- Hey, celebrating the real meaning of Easter wouldn't be so boring after all!

So I hope you'll excuse me for the next week while I stand on my Easter soap box.

Here it goes...




1 comment:

marika said...

In that Easter book you posted, they have you wrap rolls around a marshmellow the night before easter. IN the morning you bake them, and when you bite into them, they are really hollow. We love this one!