
This fall marks seven years since I moved to Utah from Ohio. It's hard to imagine that it's been that long! I keep counting and recounting to make sure it's right. I've really started to love a lot of things about Utah. Doug and I live in this great neighborhood and we just love our ward. Even with all the things that I really love here, there are so many things I miss about Ohio.
I'd have to say of all the things I miss, the one I miss the most is the cultural diversity found outside of Cleveland where I grew up. I just grew up thinking it was normal that every year at Christmas my mom's students would give her boxes full of fresh tabouli and an assortment of baklava, that every year we had to cancel early morning seminary for Rosh Hashanah, and that all the grocery stores carry fresh European breads and, on the other end, have a kosher foods section. It's so fun to go to my parent's house and know that if you go east to Middlefield you can be in Amish country, west to Beachwood and you'll see the Orthodox Jews walking to temple (if it's saturday), northwest to Mayfield where they teach Russian in the public school so the students can talk to their grandparents, etc etc etc.
*Sigh* Yep. I do miss that.
So what does all this have to do with perogies? Well, not too much. Except that Doug's really nice and he lets me make all the crazy food that I miss whenever I want :). It's a good thing he's not a picky eater.
So Friday night for our date night we made perogies from scratch. This was the first time I've ever actually made the perogies and I now have a lot more respect for the people who do! They weren't super hard, just time consuming. But we had fun and it was totally worth it. Yum! We now have a freezer full of perogies just waiting to be eaten.
Here's a link to the recipe we tried in case anyone wants to be adventurous and make their own! (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ukrainian-Olhas-Varenyky-Perogies/Detail.aspx ) If anyone has a better recipe for them let me know!

2 comments:
If you want diversity come and live by us. We have lots of it in our neighborhood. We would love to have you for neighbors.
Cultural moment:
Pierogi is actually the plural form of the word pieróg, so you can say something like "we made pierogi and liked them a lot." In fact, the singular is almost never used. Really, considering that they're so yummy, who's going to eat just one? :)
Post a Comment