Sunday, September 13, 2009

Shabby Apple Design Contest

I have approximated 35 thousand projects on my 'To Do' list right now. So what do I do? Add another of course!

My cousin recently sent me the link to the Shabby Apple 'Dare to Design' contest. It looked like a fun idea (you get to design a dress and if you win they'll make it and you get a kick back from every one that sells) but I'm usually not one for contests. I'm always just so disappointed when I lose! But this time I gave in. Shabby Apple makes all modest dresses, and I've actually been thinking lately about how the world of modest wedding dresses needs to take a little advice from the past. There are so many beautiful designs from back when modesty was fashionable. Shabby Apple doesn't make wedding dresses, but the ideas I've picked up translated well into everyday dresses as well.

It was a lot of fun to pull out (and dust off... and hope they hadn't dried out...turns out wedding invitation design doesn't require much marker use...) my good old Prisma Color Markers and try my hand at fashion design. Here's what I came up with-

My dress designs for Shabby Apple dresses:

Dress #1
Historical Inspiration: Jane Austen



Ok, so Jane Austen isn't exactly a 'historical period' but I just keep thinking- what girl HASN'T thought about how much she'd love to wear one of the dresses from these classic films? Obviously the full on dresses would be a bit much for today's fashions, but I think they could be modernized really easily.

I just LOVE the red dress in the photo above. My first dress is designed to allow the owner to feel as though she was walking right along with Liz Bennett, but still fit into the world of 2010. I'd add a beautiful lace into the neckline for modesty and shorten the sleeves and skirt length. My favorite feature would be the flowing 'train' of the dress. It would be slightly longer than the front and would include a few gathers (or maybe a big inverted box pleat) up on the empire waistline. This would allow the dress to be fitted along the front but still flow like these classic, old dresses. I'm envisioning this dress in dupioni silk in classic colors- like black or deep red.


Dress #2
Historical Inspiration: Jane Austen (..again...)Same idea as above. This dress is a modern day version of the ball gown worn by Jane Bennett in the latest Pride and Prejudice Movie.. Less gathering in the front doesn't pack on the visual pounds, but a bit more gathering in the back still allows the dress to flow like the old fashioned ones. The neck line would have a large band, giving the visual appearance of the old, large scoop necks but still keeping the dress modest. I'd love to see this one made up with a few layers of thin, flowing white cotton.

Dress #3
Historical Inspiration: 1830s Gown



I just love the neckline on this old dress! Take it and add a slightly puffy skirt (maybe some lining edged with lace that peaked out from under the skirt when you sat down) and I'd say you've got the perfect summer party dress. I think this one would look great in any spring fabric: white linen, a light knit with a fun floral print etc.

12 comments:

Jill said...

I love them all. I think the first one is my favorite. Good job! I just bet you will win.

Karen said...

awesome! i really like your modernizing!:) you are very talented!

Alice said...

Way to go Jess. My friend's cousin is the owner/founder of Shabby Apple. I hope you win. By the way I love the sleeve length of Dress #1 and the fact that you wouldn't have to wear anything under it. They are all great. I hope you had a fun time working on this. Keep us posted.

Lauren said...

So cute! I would buy them in a heartbeat.

StephenEmily Stacey said...

I love them! Wow! Dress #1 is my favorite. No doubt Steve would buy it for me if I asked him:) (he's been dying to buy me a dress ever since we were engaged because I only ever wear skirts)

Anonymous said...

I love them! Does Shabby Apple do plus sizes? I love these dresses, and would buy EVERY ONE if they came in bigger sizes...idea??

Sweetbriar Sisters said...

They do have plus sizes! Not in all the dresses, but the ones they have I'm sure would be super cute. They'll all on their site if you go under 'women' then 'plus size'

becca said...

I *love* these! I'm so glad you entered the contest! No. 3 is my favorite--the moment I saw the picture I gasped and told Marat I needed it! Too bad it only exists on paper... at least for now :)

Stacey Mom said...

Wow jess, you are so very talented! The second one is my favorite, I want one! I hope you win, I don't know why you wouldn't! How does it feel to be so multitalented Jess?

gregandlaura said...

OMG- seriously? is there anything you aren't good at??? :) ADORABLE! I love every single one! You are amazing! I've got to get working!

Catherine Agnes said...

#3 is my favorite, but these are all awesome. With the professional look of your sketches and the flair of your writing I'll be shocked if you don't win.

Gramma Delt said...

One proud mom here!