Monday, September 21, 2009

Recipe of the Week

A kind, little stomach flu bug decided to come and interrupt our fun for last week. So, rather than write about how our week went (be glad I'm sparing you the details...) I decided to celebrate the return of our appetites by sharing one of our current favorite recipes.

It's not very often a side dish is good enough for me to actually put the effort into making it when I've already spent time preparing a main dish. Knowing that, the fact that I make these ALL them time should let you know how much we like them!

Baked Onion Rings
-1 1/2 c cornflakes
-1/2 c plain dried breadcrumbs (if you don't have breadcrumbs just throw in some extra cornflakes, still tastes good!)
-1 large egg
-1/2 c low-fat buttermilk (you can make your own with 1/2 c milk and 1/2 t vinegar or lemon juice.. because who keeps buttermilk on hand?)
-1/4 flour
-1/8 t cayenne pepper (this isn't enough to make them spicy, don't worry! You can't even taste the spice, just adds to the flavor)
-salt and pepper
-one medium sweet onion quartered crosswise and broken into rings (discard small center rings)
-2 T olive oil (they're still really good with just 1 tablespoon)

Preheat oven to 450. In a food processor (I use our blender), pulse cornflakes and breadcrumbs until fine crumbs form, then transfer to a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, flour, and cayenne and season with salt and pepper.

Dip onion rings in egg mixture (letting excess drip off) and dredge in cornflake mixture. Place on a large plate. Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and heat for 2 minutes to heat up the oil. (This makes them crispy!) Remove sheet from oven and tilt to coat evenly with oil. Arrange onion rings on sheet. Bake, turning once until onion rings are golden brown- about 16 minutes. Season with salt.

For your 'gluten free'ers out there, tonight I made these with just corn flakes (no breadcrumbs) and substituted the flour with coconut flour. (we're not going gluten free or anything, I just sometimes like to give myself a challenge while I cook)The breading didn't stick to the onions quite as well, but it was still delicious! Next time I'd probably try a little less coconut flour (instead of the full 1/4 c I'd probably start with about 1/8 and just add as needed so it doesn't get so thick)

No comments: