On a slight side note, I've been experimenting with different types of buttercream frostings (just so you know, the stuff you get at the grocery store that is called 'buttercream' is as much buttercream frosting as Kraft Mac and Cheese powder is real cheese. Little pet peeve of mine. They have ruined the name of buttercream and I think they should be ashamed!) so this time I made a Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It was ok- the taste was a little too buttery for me and the consistency couldn't hold up past about 70 degrees, not so great of a summer time frosting. So in three years from now when I have an excuse to make another 6 layer cake I'll try a different type in my quest to find the best type. Any suggestions? I've done Italian buttercream- it's my favorite so far, and want to try the French version. Are there any others?
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Stacey Reunion: Rainbow Cake
I was in charge of bringing a desert to our Stacey family reunion. I was so excited. I saw this idea a few years ago and have been looking for an excuse to make it ever since. Turns out Doug and I don't eat 6 layer cakes all that often. The recipe I used was good, but not outstanding so I won't include it. You could do it with any white cake recipe- just divide the batter into bowls and color with food coloring. I just bought some pans from the dollar store so I could bake all the cakes at once. (just be sure to line the pans with parchment paper because the layers are super thin!)
The final product was really fun. We used it as a birthday cake for all the August bdays in the family which was also fun considering I don't remember ever celebrating a birthday with all my siblings around the table. (I guess that's what happens when your brother goes to college the same month you start kindergarten...)
On a slight side note, I've been experimenting with different types of buttercream frostings (just so you know, the stuff you get at the grocery store that is called 'buttercream' is as much buttercream frosting as Kraft Mac and Cheese powder is real cheese. Little pet peeve of mine. They have ruined the name of buttercream and I think they should be ashamed!) so this time I made a Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It was ok- the taste was a little too buttery for me and the consistency couldn't hold up past about 70 degrees, not so great of a summer time frosting. So in three years from now when I have an excuse to make another 6 layer cake I'll try a different type in my quest to find the best type. Any suggestions? I've done Italian buttercream- it's my favorite so far, and want to try the French version. Are there any others?
On a slight side note, I've been experimenting with different types of buttercream frostings (just so you know, the stuff you get at the grocery store that is called 'buttercream' is as much buttercream frosting as Kraft Mac and Cheese powder is real cheese. Little pet peeve of mine. They have ruined the name of buttercream and I think they should be ashamed!) so this time I made a Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It was ok- the taste was a little too buttery for me and the consistency couldn't hold up past about 70 degrees, not so great of a summer time frosting. So in three years from now when I have an excuse to make another 6 layer cake I'll try a different type in my quest to find the best type. Any suggestions? I've done Italian buttercream- it's my favorite so far, and want to try the French version. Are there any others?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment