Sunday, May 24, 2009

Painting Class

For Christmas my parents gave some money to use to take a painting class. I've done art all my life, but have never really painted. I did a couple things in high school with no real direction at all (after going to design school, I actually prefer to have someone behind me telling me everything I'm doing wrong), but I don't really count those as something that really taught me anything.

I'm currently studying under Derek Hegsted- a guy who's done a lot of LDS art for Deseret Book. It's been a lot of fun to learn such a different side of art- it's definitely not sketching up 150 views of a toothbrush in an hour or drawing paisleys in Adobe Illustrator. It's really refreshing. I feel like being part of an art studio is such a part of me- I've really missed it the past year.

I just finished my first painting. I have to admit- I'm probably one of the worst in the class right now- but I feel like I'm learning so much, so I'm still proud of my little painting! I've just started my second and am really excited to go through the process again now that I know so much more.

6 comments:

marika said...

It is really cool... did you paint black first?

Doug and Jess said...

First a really light purple wash, then a yellow wash on the leaves, and really dark purple all around the leaves (making the black look).

Lauren said...

Wow, that looks great. I don't even believe that you are the worst in the class. That butterfly is so detailed!

Kent Kate & Afton said...

you are the worst in the class? wow. that must be one heck of a class.

MaryAnne said...

I'm very impressed, I love all the detail on the butterfly!

Laura said...

Jessica, I'm seriously impressed. It looks awesome!

(And no, it doesn't take me this long to read your blog, just to comment. . .)