Friday, August 8, 2008

The Wedding Factory

About a year ago my cousin Becca got engaged. We were roommates the year before I got married and have stayed pretty close since. I talk to her a few times each week and I think every conversation we've had for the past year has been wedding related. I've been so excited to help with the reception

With that in mind, I feel like this photo really describes the last month or so of our lives. I don't think we've been able to eat at our dining table for weeks now... or really anywhere else for that matter. Every square inch of available working surface has been covered in our attempts to pack (we were scheduled to close on a house at the end of last month), unpack (the closing date fell through) repack (we thought we'd get kicked out of our apartment), and unpack again (we didn't get kicked out after all- which is really the best part of the story since we're not homeless!). None of them were a real ‘packing’ or ‘unpacking’ job, just a start of a bunch of boxes, and then us going through the boxes to get what we needed when we realized we weren’t leaving. Meaning that now we have a bunch of areas on our apartment with a bunch of stuff piled on top of a bunch of boxes.

This was of course all going on during the same time that Doug was working late every night to meet a deadline at work, I got a bunch of design work to do (which is great, but of course very time consuming), and our car broke down. Twice.

So what have I been doing during every moment of spare time during all this? Well, I've been making wedding stuff of course! Our tables weren’t just all full of half-packed boxes. They were also full of flowers and icing and wedding cake. Now, don't get the wrong impression. You might be thinking the bride was forcing me to do a bunch of stuff. If you are, it’s only because you don't know me well enough to know that I'm absolutely crazy. I just can’t stop doing projects. It’s like a disease. I'm certain at any moment I could have told Becca I didn’t want to do a single more thing and she'd be totally fine. But I just couldn’t stop. I know. I'm crazy.

The wedding was yesterday and it went perfectly. After making the wedding invitations, a wedding cake, flower girl crowns, a guest book, signs to go all over the reception that coordinate with the invitations, buying 16 patio umbrellas, ironing table cloths, setting up chairs… and, well, a lot of other things… I’m pretty excited to have a break from weddings.

So what will we do instead? Well, it’s looking like that house might go through after all. I guess we get to pack for real this time.

3 comments:

Jill Dransfield said...

Wow Jessica the wedding looked beautiful. Fantastic job! It makes me want to have a reception all over again - not really one was plenty!

gregandlaura said...

Oh my gosh! You're crazy! I can't beleive you were trying to do this while moving!! I completely understand being addicted to projects though! I am the same way! just wait until you move into your house - it will get so much worse!! Good job - everything looks amazing!

Lauren said...

That reception looked absolutely beautiful. You guys are a great wedding team! So what you said about the cakes...that just goes for wedding cakes right? Andrew would be so upset if he never had another Jessica cake again.