Thursday, August 21, 2008

Landlording 101

Pop Quiz

Upon purchasing your first duplex you find that, on the day you purchased the unit, one of your renters was arrested. She is on a month to month contract. If she does not pay her rent within the next 10 days she will lose her contract. If she is convicted she must, by contract, be evicted.

While she waits in the county jail to be convicted (she faces 6 months in prison), a man claiming to be her uncle contacts you and offers to move all of her personal belongings out of her apartment.

What do you do?

All answers will be considered.

5 comments:

Gramma Delt said...

Do you know which jail she is in? Call the jail, explain the situation and ask if you can speak with her to check if this is a relative. Also check with the previous owner. He may know someone to contact. Mom

Jason & Kelli West said...

Hmmmm...wow! That is a tough one! I would say to go with what Ricky's mom said! You want to make sure he really is a relative!! Although once they get evicted if they leave their stuff it can go to whom ever! My friend was an apartment manager and once someone got evicted and didn't take their stuff..we threw it all away cause it was NASTY!!! Blah! good luck with it! :)

Alice said...

Sorry your first days on the job as a landlord have been so "interesting". I just got an update from Doug that Jessica went to jail??? Hee hee! I bet that was a first for you Jess? Glad you got the authorization from your tenant. I'm excited that you guys are moving into our former first home. We have such fond memories there.

Kent and Kate said...

Oh my. I have no idea! But I will say that the three of us would love to come and see your lovely new home!!!

Lauren said...

You definitely contact Judge Judy!