Sunday, July 6, 2008

Summer Reading

Growing up our public library had this Youth Summer Reading Program. You'd read a book, fill out a slip and get entered into a weekly drawing.

Our school was full of these crazy English teachers who thought they ruled the world. We were required to read millions of pages of horribly boring books each summer and I really think that the only good that ever came of it was the occasional free t-shirt or bag of candy that we'd win at the library. (ok, ok, maybe we learned more about the literary world or something, but mostly I just remember the prizes. And the fact that everyone I know who came out of that high school still has a total dread of reading.)

Recently I've become completely addicted to audio books. (I still can't get myself to enjoy actually 'reading' a book- thanks a lot Ms. Houser) I listen to them while I work (and while I do the dishes... and make dinner... and clean the apartment...and in my car...and.. well- you get the idea ) The time really adds up and I've been averaging a few books a week without much effort. THEN last month I found out that the Provo library does a summer reading program just like the one I grew up with but for adults. I know, I know... I'm a nerd. But I was so excited- prizes all summer long without a crazy teacher telling me what to read?! What could be better?

Yesterday I won my first prize- I got to pick a book off of a whole cart. I was actually a little disappointed at first- I'm really just an audio book person, not a real reader. But then I found the section of the cart full of cookbooks and design books and it was so hard to choose! I finally went with a book on Interior Design packed with lots of full color pictures and not too many words. Just my style when it's not a book on tape :)

No comments: