Friday, July 20, 2012

Art Class

Hmmm... so I wrote this post and it turned out really long.... so I added a shorter version too.  You get to pick which you want to read :)


Long Story Short

Check out http://sweetbriarsisters.com/blog/ to see all of my creative projects- it's where I'm going to post them from now on.

Short Story Long

Blogs are a funny thing.  I feel like most of the people I know have such a love/hate relationship with them.  We love to keep in contact with friends and family, so we read them.  But every time we read them, we walk away feeling like crap.

Ok, so maybe not every time we read them.  And to be honest it's not all the people I talk to who feel this way.  Mostly just all the women I talk to.  :)  One of the things I hear all the time from women is that they look at a friend's blog, see all the projects she's gotten done, and immediately feel like a failure.  It's been making me very self conscious about our blog, which is like 50% about the projects I do.   

Now, let's be realistic for a minute.  The reason I get a lot of projects done is because I'm chronically ill and in bed all but a few hours a day.  There's not much I can do in life but projects.  It is nothing to be jealous of, trust me!  However, it seems the whole 'blog envy' problem has very little to do with actual reality, and everything to do with how our lives are presented on screen.  And so I continue to worry

The point is, I never want anyone to have to put our blog on their 'I can only read this blog every so often because it makes me feel like crap' list. (and yes, just for reference, I have one of those lists too, so don't feel bad if you do) So just in case, I'm moving all my creative endeavors to their own blog, http://sweetbriarsisters.com/blog/.  That way if you don't want to look at them, you never have to again!  And if you do, they're readily available, just not here.

And, if you're wondering why in the world this post is entitled Art Class, it's because all of this was leading up to the fact that I finished my first art class and LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it!  I'm seriously so anxious for Fall Semester to start so I can learn more.  All of the paintings I did are up on my creative blog for those of you who'd like to check them out!

1 comment:

Stephen Stacey said...

Oh Jessica, this thing that you say is so true. I think it's hilarious how well you put into print insecurities that are cumulatively shared by the online community of blog stockers. except me, of course. I'm the one who actually does have the perfect life, So I have nothing to be jealous of. :-)