Thursday, January 7, 2010

Side Effects

Being sick for months on end doesn't exactly lead to very many interesting stories. But every once in a while the medical world throws you a little treat just to spice up your life.

The 'treats' I get typically come in the form of a side effect from pills. Like the time when my gag reflex was constantly active for hours after I took my daily dose (you know that feeling in your throat that you get right before you throw up? Well, imagine how fun it is to have that feeling constantly for 8-12 hours at a time) or when my chest hurt bad enough that I almost drove to the emergency room thinking I was having a minor heart attack. (don't worry, I called my doctor and found it's a common, harmless side effect) Or when my body reacted to a pill like poison and violently got rid of EVERYTHING in my stomach and made sure I wouldn't put anything else inside it for days after I took my last pill.

But then there were the past 10 days. Oh Matronidazol, Ciprofloxacin and Fluconazole, I don't know what it is about the combination of you three but boy will I miss our 10 days together.

It all started with a Taco soup at Rumbi Island Grill. It was the BEST soup I'd EVER had. So good! I mean, have you tried the grilled chicken in that thing? I just couldn't stop talking about it! (just ask Doug- I seriously talked about that soup for HOURS)

Then the next day I had the BEST Western Family Cookies and Cream ice cream. I mean, it was SO good. Who knew that a generic brand could be THAT good?

And then the next day there was this Caesar Salad Dressing. And the next some of the best Cream Soda on the planet. And then potato salad...

What was my side effect? Complete, pure, delightful deliciousness. I have no idea why, but a few hours after I'd take my pills, whatever I ate tasted like the MOST delicious thing I have EVER had.

Yep, I'm definitely going to miss taking those pills.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, never heard of that one before! Medications that make everything taste awful, yes, but medications that make everything taste wonderful? Wouldn't that be a fun mechanism to study!

Stephen Stacey said...

Wow! That's quite the regimen of pills! Sounds serious. I'm glad they helped fill your life with deliciousness.

Sherwood family said...

That sounds like a great side effect! Maybe I can slip some of those medications into Kathleen's food....

Stacey Mom said...

Thats funny Jess, I probably wouldn't have caught on! And Christopher needs that effect by the way. Maybe he would appreciate my cooking....

Catherine Agnes said...

That's so funny. :-)