Sunday, December 27, 2009

Attention All Christensens!

My Grandma Chris tells the best stories. She's been telling them for years and each one is just a treasure. She and my grandpa have to stay home just about all the time now, and I wanted to find a way for her to tell her stories to all her grandchildren and great grandchildren all over the world without ever having to leave my grandpa.

So when I found some digital recordings of five of Grandma's stories I was SO excited. I transcribed each story, illustrated it and put it in a book- complete with an About the Author section full of pictures of Grandma and Grandpa's life. I got the books printed and burned some CDs with the digital recordings to make a 'Read Along with Grandma' book. I just love how they turned out! I gave a copy to Grandma and promised to get the word out so that each of her grandchildren and great grandchildren could get a copy and hear her stories.

So if you're one of my Christensen cousins listen up! To get your very own read along book you'll need two things: The book and the CD of Grandma's voice. Here's how to get them.

The Book
There are two was to get the book. One is easy, the other cheap.

-The easy way is to go to this address http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1031190 and buy your own hardback copy. They cost about $30 + shipping (you can order up to 5 books and pay the same for shipping, so if you live close to a sibling that might be beneficial)

-The cheap way is to go to this address http://jessicageorgedesign.com/TheGreatestFarmerOnline.pdf where you can find a PDF version of the whole book that you can download and print from your own computer. (because of the large size of this file it will only be up for a limited amount of time so get it while it's hot!)

The CD
The audio files can be found at http://grandmastories.posterous.com/ this site will allow you to listen to the stories or download them to create your own CD.


*end note* after I made this I've heard of quite a few other recordings that Grandma has done. If there are enough, I might just work on compiling a volume 2 book. (If I get some people to help me- this was a big job! Let me know if you'd like to help on the next one. Even transcribing one story would help a lot) If you have any of recordings please email me (jessicaageorge {at} gmail.com) a digital copy so we can all enjoy it!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for doing this Jessica! I would love to see more if you put them together.
--Sarah

Lauren said...

Wow! That is a HUGE project. You illustrated too?! I'm excited to get a copy. I can help you too with transcribing or whatever else.

MaryAnne said...

This is so wonderful, Jessica, thank you so much! I would love to help transcribe if you need help with that.