Life has been so crazy it's hard to think of one specific thing to
post about, so here are a few mini posts about 2014 so far-
1. I have been taking a portrait drawing class at UVU and am
loving it! My only complaint is that we're half way through the semester
already and I'm not ready to be half way done.
2. Doug's work has been CRAZY. We're talking working 6-7 days a
week, and I don't even know how many hours a day... but it's a lot. Wednesday
seemed to explain the hours he's been putting in pretty well. He woke up
completely excited, spurring this conversation:
me: Whatcha so excited about?
him (with an enormous grin): I get to go in to the dentist
and get a dental post put in!
me: Wait, doesn't that mean they have to cut open your gum and
drill into your bone?! Why in the world are you excited?
him: ALL I have to do for like 2 HOURS is sit in a chair!!!
Later on Wednesday, Doug came home in the middle of the day.
I was completely surprised to see him. He explained that he wasn't
feeling great, so came home early to rest. It was no wonder, between the
long hours he'd been putting in and the fact that he'd basically had a minor
surgery done that morning. 'I'm so glad you got to come home and rest!' I
said, 'I mean, you'll have an extra...' I paused to glance at the clock to see
how many extra hours of rest he'd get from coming home so early. It was
5:30.... I guess our definition of the 'middle of the day' has changed a bit in
the past couple months.
3. I turned 30 last month. Doug was very good at
spoiling me.
![]() |
| My 3 gallon 'Grieving' ice cream sundae. Doug made it for me the day before I turned 30. :) |
4. My pattern business is awesome! I'll often bring my
work with me when I ride Frontrunner (Utah's awesome new train that goes from
Springville to Ogden). I'll be sitting there with my laptop covered in
design programs on one side and a catalog of next seasons fabric lines on the other. People get really curious about what I'm working on. When I tell them, they look at me like I'm the luckiest person in the whole world. And, on the work topic at least, I'd have to agree.
4. My annoyingly bad health streak continues.
To give you an idea, I've been wearing a pedometer for years now to
monitor my activity. On a typical Sick Jessica Day I have to make sure to
stay under 3,000 steps a day and lie down for the rest of the time. The last year or so, I've been having troubles if I go over 1,500. Sometimes, when I tell people, they look at me like I'm cursed. And, on the whole health topic at least, I'd have to agree.
5. Due to numbers 2 and 4, Doug and I have taken a real
liking to eating TV dinners. (Thank you Trader Joes for moving to SLC!!!)
In fact, we've eaten so many that we actually wore out our microwave. If they sold double microwaves,
we'd get one to replace it. Heating up two frozen dinners at the same
time sounds like such a reasonable need right now!
![]() |
| I've been too sick to sew, which is no good when you run a sewing related business. So we set up this awesome contraption to allow me to sew in bed. It is completely ridiculous and I love it! |



3 comments:
Love your blogs....like the train story...Dad and I have also added TV dinners to our regular eating habits thanks to PF Chang, Newmans Own and Bertollinos dinner for two packages--it is easier and often cheaper to heat and eat.---and they are good.
We have a separate freezer to hold all our frozen dinners because I love them so much. I figure it's cheaper (and healthier) than going out to eat, which honestly, is usually the other option.
I'm sorry Doug has been so busy - you and Ben should commiserate together.
Cool picture Jess!
Post a Comment