Do you ever feel like you accidentally asked the universe to make something bad happen?
I'd just gotten off the phone with my dad, who'd been going through the stressful process of buying a car. It was the first time I'd seen the process of buying-a-car-on-a-deadline-because-mine-just-died-and-I-need-to-go-to-work-tomorrow from an adult perspective. Suddenly our current "Replacement of Our '92 Subaru Plan" seemed like it might need a little tweaking.
So that night I talked to Doug. I'd always thought that we'd just run that car to the ground and then replace it. But after talking to my dad I was thinking we'd probably save as much money and a LOT of stress if we started looking for a good deal now so we'd have plenty of time to find something at a great price.
We had the money saved up, and it seemed responsible and definitely less stressful. So we decided that's what we'd do. And we'd start looking right when Doug got home from his business trip.
So Doug left for his trip. And about 20 minutes after he left I got a call from him stranded on the side of I-15. Because the car died.
Figures.
So Doug found a last minute ride to the airport (from someone willing to pick him up on the side of the road) and I organized the towing of a car, the location of which I was only vaguely aware of because Doug had been in a hurry to catch a plane when he called me. And the process of buying-a-car-on-a-deadline-because-ours-just-died began. :)
A month or so later, we have our new car and the stress is over. But seriously, I never want to have to make that big of a purchase on a deadline again! Sometimes the realities of being an adult are just no fun at all.
2 comments:
I hope you bought a Honda, because as Kent can readily tell you, Malibu's just don't hold their value all that well. Also, I didn't realize you still had that car. Amazing.
This is good advice. I can't believe that happened!
Post a Comment