Well, Friday was the big day! We went up to Salt Lake for the awards ceremony and gallery opening of the LDS International Art Competition.... That I had a piece in! (ok, I'm done shamelessly bragging now)
It was such a fun night- my parents came into town and a bunch of family came up for the opening. It was amazing to see the people who won awards- their art was seriously incredible.
The opening was so packed we could hardly walk around, but I personally think that made it more fun. The atmosphere was perfect- all the artists who could attend-many coming from different countries- were standing by their pieces so you could go and discuss their work with them. The museum tour guides were going around interviewing artists to find special stories and insight to add to the tours they'll give all summer. A pianist played a grand piano in the middle of everything and there was a beautiful table of the most amazing hors devours. It felt so official! I'm definitely hoping this won't be a once in a lifetime experience- I'm already dreaming about the next competition. And trying to convince everyone I know to enter in the next show- definitely worth the effort!
To see all the artwork check out https://history.lds.org/viewer/voting/event/9th-art-comp?lang=eng. (I can't figure out how to get a link directly to my quilt... can you? If so, could you leave a comment with that link? I'd appreciate it!) Voting for the visitor's choice award is open online and at the museum, so be sure to vote for your favorite one!
| Remember how I put so much effort into my wording? Well, they totally butchered it. Sad. :( But it was still cool to see my name on my own plaque! |
5 comments:
Yay! Congratulations! For the first time in my Utah life, I will make sure and venture up to browse the exhibit.
you freaking rock
Amazing! I need to go and see this wonderful art. It is cool that I know one of the artists!
That is amazing I love it. Looking through all of those pieces brought back memories of art 202. Congrats, it looks great!
You are amazing! Congrats Jess!
Post a Comment