Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream

Well, our 6 week non-fat, low-carb, vegan diet trial is over.  Actually, it ended after just 4 weeks.  Getting progressively weaker as the weeks went on was my first sign that this diet wasn't actually making me feel better. Losing feeling in my legs during a session of physical therapy and then hardly being able to walk for the rest of the day was the last; that was the day we decided the trial was over.  Oh the things doctors think will make me feel better! (in the doctor's defense, I do have POTS which is basically just chronically weird circulation so the side effects weren't really that surprising)

It was an interesting month.  One that I definitely don't want to try again, but we picked up a few tips and recipes that we'll definitely be keeping around.  Here is our favorite-


  Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream
Serves 2
1/2 C almond milk (I'm sure good old cow milk would work well too)
1 T cocoa powder (splurging for the Ghirardelli cocoa is seriously worth it on this recipe)
4 dates, pitted
1 1/2 C dark sweet frozen cherries

Blend milk and dates in blender until there are no big date chunks.  Add cocoa and cherries, blend until smooth.  So good!  We also like it with frozen raspberries or frozen bananas.

1 comment:

gregandlaura said...

Yum! I love chocolate and cherry's! :) When I started going vegan/vegetarian whatever you want to call it, I was really sick for awhile - and it was very hard. Your body kind of detox's and it can last up to a month. But I feel so much better now and feel so much stronger and energetic. Its not easy and I'm TOTALLY NOT 100% I think just cutting back a little makes a huge difference. Congrats on that quilt!! THat is SUPER exciting- you are SOOO amazing!! And I love your haircut!! :) Sorry for the essay!