Monday, September 26, 2011

Easter Quilt!!!

I'm done!  Any of you who have seen me in the past 6 months or so will have seen this thing in some stage of its creation.  I've been working on it it for SOOOOO long, planning to enter it into the LDS International Art Competition, and have to turn in my entry in the next couple of days.  I just had to ask you guys a favor first!  

With my entry I get to send in a photo of my entire piece, plus 2 detail shots.  My quilt has a lot of symbolism and so I made a little chart to explain what everything meant, but I'm wondering if it's worth giving up one of my detail shots to send in the chart.  Here are my three shots plus my write up (which cannot be even 1 character longer so I can't add any more explanation). Here's my question to you- can you figure out what everything means with only the photo and write up? Could you leave a comment answering yes or no?   (the write up is ALL of the words below the photos including the list of symbolism.  The chart I made is a picture of the quilt with arrows pointing to what each part means.  I didn't put it on this post because I wanted to see if you could figure things out without it)  

If no one can figure it out I'll add the chart, if you can I'll go with the two detail shots.

THANKS!!!





He Lives: Christ’s Final Week
It is no easy task to visually represent Christ's wonderful works in the week of His Atonement. I prayerfully sought a way to, among the commercialism of Easter, catch the interest of my family and teach them of the events leading to Christ's ultimate sacrifice. This quilt, sewn completely by hand, visually represents the eight days surrounding the center event-or center of the quilt- The empty tomb.

Symbolisms include:
Palms: Palm Sunday
Cursed Fig Tree: Monday
The Ten Virgins, The Great Commandment, Widow’s Mite, Marriage of the King’s Son: Tuesday & Wednesday
Olive Branches of Gethsemane: Thursday
•Crown of Thorns: Friday
Darkness: Saturday  
The Empty Tomb: The Glorious Sunday Morning

11 comments:

Jill said...

First of all your quilt is beautiful! That is a tough decision. I liked the chart with the explanations, it helped me to think more about your quilt. But, I think in your paragraph how you say the eight days surround it could be explanation enough. The close up of the quilt really shows great detail. So I might just send in the pictures.

Stephanie said...

It's so fun to see it done - great work! It is amazing. I agree, as nice as the explanations are, your write up I think is enough of an explanation for it, because, let's be honest, the closeups are beautiful.

MaryAnne said...

What a stunning quilt! I love hand-sewn quilts, and this one is a real work of art!

I haven't seen the chart, which is maybe why I'm thinking it would be nice to have? I wouldn't trust judges to make the time to figure out where all the symbolism is, and it might be easier for them to have it spelled out for them. Either way, I think your quilt is a strong contender in the competition!

Lauren said...

I hate to split the vote so hopefully you get lots more comments. I love the closeups too (the details are really stunning), but I think I'm leaning towards the chart. I guess I would have to see the chart to be sure but from far away it is hard to see where all the symbolism is represented. It looks amazing!

Stacey Mom said...

Jessica that is so beautiful. I can't wait to hear all about the competition. My vote is for a chart. I'm such a visual person that it would help me understand the symbolism better. Either way though, I think you'll be just fine.

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

Wow! This is a work of art!! I don't know that I caught where all the symbolism is in the quilt but it was fun to look for it. So I guess you could leave the chart out and be ok.... Good work!

Andrew and Lauren said...

Chart for sure, but who wants my opinion on art?

Gramma Delt said...

Even though I orginally thought no chart, I think MaryAnne makes a good point--frazzzzelled, time deficient judges may not take the time to look for symbols.

Mike and Michelle Clark said...

Jessica, this is truly one of the most beautiful, exquisite quilts I've ever seen. I would say do not include the chart. I assume that the individuals judging will be artistic people. It's fun to pick out the symbolism yourself, and they'll be looking at it through the eyes of an artist. Seeing the close ups helped me see some of the symbols I missed from the wide shot. Also, (my personal preference) I prefer that art isn't "explained" to me. My favorite pieces are ones where I see more symbolism and meaning as I study it. I definitely think your quilt does that. It's a masterpiece.

Missionary MOM said...

Michelle called me and told me about your quilt. It took my breath away. It is a masterpiece!
Loretta

Catherine Agnes said...

This is spectacularly beautiful. I vote for including the chart.