Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gardening

When we first bought our house I was really surprised at the necessity of having an entire conversation's worth of information on grass ready at a moment's notice. Who knew you could talk about grass so much? But it's certainly the hot topic around the neighborhood all summer long. It makes a lot of sense really, you have to put a lot of work into having lawn here (not like in the East where your only thought is to make sure it doesn't grow out of control) so of course people will want to swap stories and tips all the time. I've learned a lot the past few years and am proud that I can almost hold my own when it comes to grass gossip.

Going with the grass talk is garden talk. And I'm happy to say that this year I can participate in that a little more. This spring Doug built us these awesome raised beds and we have had so much fun growing vegetables. These pictures are from the day we planted everything, and it's so fun to see the difference between now and then. It's just a wonderful, wonderful thing to NEED to eat fresh cilantro every couple days to keep the plant under control. Right now we're only harvesting herbs, but coming soon will be tomatoes, peppers, carrots and hopefully even a watermelon. I'm so excited.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I CAN'T wait to have my own home and yard so I can garden (among other things too). thanks for making me thoroughly jealous Jess! ;) Love you!