Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Fun

I love Christmas! I love decorating the house and burning Christmas scented candles and listening to Christmas music.

This year I wanted to make sure to get into the Christmas spirit despite the fact that I can hardly get out of the house. It's been SO much better! Amazing what a little planning can do. We've done a lot of low key, at home Christmas activities (roasting chestnuts, making orange and clove decorations, watching Christmas movies etc) but a few Christmas activities have definitely been my favorite so far.

First of all I made a puppet nativity. This one cannot be described in anything but pictures, so I will post some soon.

Second, my Christmas book. Best Christmas activity ever. (I'm so modest, huh?) In November I started collecting scripture verses that told of prophets who lived before Christ and devoted their lives to looking forward to His birth. I found 25 of them and put them in chronological order (a task that turned out to be much harder than I expected- but now I'm just so stinking proud of my list!). Starting December 1, I've been taking one scripture a day and putting it into a book complete with pictures and a time line when the story took place. It's been so fun to watch as the dot on the time line moves closer and closer to the birth of Christ as we get closer to Christmas. The goal is to print the book so next year we can do it all over again, minus the long process of finding scriptures.

Last of all (for this post anyway)- making snowflakes. Growing up, my Grandma Stacey made us a set up crocheted snowflakes. They were the only ornaments special enough to warrant their own box. (everything else was just thrown into one big cardboard box) I remember carefully taking them out each year and wondering how in the world someone could make something so intricate. This year I figured out my grandma's pattern and made us our own set. (see post below) So fun!

It's definitely been a good Christmas season so far- I'm excited to see what we get to do for the rest of it.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I'd like to order that book too please!! I love the ideas...thanks!

Jill said...

I would also like that book. You have great ideas. I think that we had snowflakes similar to your Grandma's. You are very talented, in that you can look at something and make your own pattern. You have wonderful Christmas ideas, thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

That book sounds awesome! Seriously, you do like ten times more with your free time than me.

(What? Stalking people's blogs isn't useful? Crap.)

Mike and Michelle Clark said...

I remember seeing those ornaments. I didn't know Grandma had made them. You are so talented! I, too, would like to see your book, or at least get a list of the scriptures. You're amazing!