Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter

This year Doug and I tried something a little different for Easter. My sister told me about the book A Christ-Centered Easter and I wanted to see if it could work for a family of adults. It was great. It's main purpose is to get families (specifically families with children from preschool to teens) to focus on the story of Christ during the Easter season. It goes day by day for the week before Easter- each day is full of scriptures to read, suggested discussions and activities for all different age groups. You choose what you want to do and all of the info you need is there in the book so it takes very little prep each day.

The book made our Easter week great! I mean, I'm sure we could have studied what happened during that last week of Christ's life on our own, but it was really nice to have it all together and laid out for us. I think this was the first year I've really truly been excited to celebrate Christ's resurrection on Easter rather than get candy. (not that we got rid of the candy tradition, because I love all traditions that involve food!) I'm pretty sure celebrating Easter week this way will have to become one of our Easter traditions.

We mostly read and studied the happenings for each day, but we did do a couple of the activities. (most of the activities were geared towards kids) My favorite was the Jerusalem Dinner. Ours was quite simple this year and consisted of what pre-prepared foods I could find at Target that were on the book's list of food that probably existed in Jerusalem during Christ's life. One year when I'm feeling up to a little more cooking I think we'll try the full out passover dinner with bitter herbs and lambs leg and such. But this still got us in the right mindset so it worked great. We ate it on our living room floor while we watched To This End was I born.

Now we just need to find a way to do this for Christmas. Anyone know of any similar books to study/celebrate Christ's birth?

No comments: