Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

Personal birthdays are seriously not my favorite thing (though I do love a good b-day celebration for anyone else).  It's just that when I got sick at the age of 21 I never in my most horrible dreams thought I'd be sick every single day until the age of 26.. or 27... or... now.... 28.  It is a fact that I'm horribly reminded of every time my own, personal description number goes up.

So as January approached we did what any normal person would do to prepare for a depressing week- we researched to find the best local bakery, planned a week so full of activities that I couldn't possibly have time to sit and think, and I chopped off all my hair.  Strangely enough, all three things still make perfect sense to me.  Until I try to explain them out loud. 

I have to admit, the week was a perfect success.  As much as I just wanted to sit around and have a pity party, I just couldn't.  We were having way too much fun!  In fact, by the time my next birthday rolls around I might just be able to start looking forward to them again...

We got all dressed up for dinner at La Jolla Groves- seriously so good!  I do, however, feel like a beast in these pictures...  I just can't get away with heels next to Doug- if you look you'll see he's even sneaking up on tip toes.  What would it be like to feel feminine and petite?  I'm afraid I may never know.

Rather than getting an entire bday cake for both of us we got these pastries from a local French bakery.  They actually looked a lot better than they tasted.. unfortunately... our search for the perfect bakery continues!

Our plan for no bday cake didn't pan out well, since my Grandpa Stacey suprised me with this one!  He is so sweet!  Do you like how there are dinosaurs around my cake?  I just finished making the pattern for them and am a sucker for color cordination.  I just couldn't help it- they matched the plates so well!

8 comments:

Stacey Mom said...

Feminine and petite... How about tall and sexy, come on Jess, you're making a good number of us angry at you :) I'm so glad you had a good week, I'm sorry I didn't call, you are so good about birthdays and I'm completely the opposite. Happy happy birthday sister dear!!!! You are always in my prayers.

StephenEmily Stacey said...

Oh Grandpa is so sweet. Happy Birthday. I'm glad that you had a fun birthday week. We've missed seeing you guys.
love,
Emily

Jill said...

Happy Birthday. I love your short hair. I love that you have a birthday week.

Lauren said...

I love love love your hair! You guys look so classy in that picture. I love that you dress up for fun dinners...we should steal that idea. Love you!

Janelle said...

I love your hair, heels and that you got a WEEK of birthday!!! that's awesome. Stacey Mom is right about tall and sexy, btw, you got that down! Petite is not fun when you're at a concert or trying desperately to NOT climb all crazy around your kitchen getting down food or tools from the cupboards. Or when people are mean and keep stuff out of your reach on purpose. Grrrr.

Sherwood family said...

Happy Birthday! Do you remember the curtain of index cards we made for you that one birthday? I still have the pictures on my computer. I like your short hair!

Aden & Jamie Hirtle said...

Happy Birthday! I am sorry that you are sick but I am glad you found a way to still enjoy your birthday. I think about you often and how you've been sick for so long. I am impressed anytime you post something about an amazing party you put together or cute projects you have done (like the cross stitch or those cute dinosaurs). I don't know how you find the energy or stay so positive through it all.

Grant and Kristin Collard said...

Happy Birthday Jess! I LOVE your hair cut! You look great in heels even if you and Doug are the same height with them on! I always say that it takes a real man to be with a tall woman! :)