Sunday, February 3, 2008

Our New Computer



Sony Vaio VGN-FS740W. That is the model number of my old laptop. I have it memorized because I have spent many hours over years that I have owned it scouring the internet doing searches for things like "how to make a sony vaio vgn-fs740w faster" and "why is my sony vaio vgn-fs740w so slow?" It has been slow since the day I bought it. It has been very frustrating for me and so I have also spent many an hour on the internet dreaming about what my dream computer would be.

A month ago Jess and I decided to do something about it. We sold my laptop and I began the process of buying parts to build my own desktop. (No it isn't my dream machine. . .that would be way to extravagant) I had a lot of fun deciding what to get and then waiting for all the parts to arrive. There were a few hangups...the first case I ordered seemed to have been transformed into a contorted twisted hunk of metallic junk in shipping. It was returned promptly.

When all of the parts arrived I enlisted a beautiful assistant (Jessica) to help me assemble it.




I decided that I wanted a desktop because I spend most of the time working at a desk anyway, they are a lot faster, and by upgrading them they can last a lot longer than a laptop (and for much cheaper). I like the big screens too. We also got a nice monitor (I had Jessica help me pick out one that looks good and is "pretty") .

I am now really happy with the new computer, for the nerds reading this here are its stats:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad
Ram: 4Gig PC6400 DDR2
Video Card: Nvidia 8600 (I think)
Hard Drive: 500Gig 7200RPM 16MB Cache Samsung
Optical: Lightscribe multi-format dvd/cd burner (these are really cool...you can use the drive to burn black and white images on the front of the cds)
20" widescreen hp monitor
Intel MOBO: its nice, I like it


And to top it all off, I won an old 19" CRT monitor at a work auction for $10. 2 monitors! Whoo hoo!

No comments: