Monday, December 5, 2011

Q:How Many Designers Does it Take to Make Thanksgiving Dinner?

Doug and I flew into Seattle Thanksgiving morning and had an amazing whirlwind weekend with my sister's family (Doug could only stay one full day so we had to squeeze in as much as possible.)

So we did what anyone would do under the circumstances- we stuck to the things of highest priority.

I cooked all day Thursday creating a Pumpkin Hazelnut Cheesecake and an Apple Cranberry Pie (complete with a leaf cut-out top and braided crust) worthy to sit next to my sister's amazingly detailed Turkey Cookies

Delicious Thanksgiving desserts worthy of being on display?  Check.  On to Priority #2

Friday morning began with more preparations (we ate a day late because of our Thanksgiving Day flight).  I started a couple recipes while my sister began to set the beautiful table and dessert buffet.  


 Beautiful, picture worthy atmosphere?  Check.  On to priority #3.  We put the turkey in the oven, leave Ben home to watch it and take off to show Doug some of the sites before he has to leave tomorrow morning.
Doug and I in Olympia- notice the state capital building on the skyline
We watch the clock as we wander down the Olympia boardwalk seeing  lines of boats and hundreds of jelly fish.  We head home to check on the turkey and get there just in time.  It comes out perfectly.  We set it on the counter to rest, look around and realize we haven't actually finished making anything to go with the turkey except the dessert buffet.... Oops... Guess our priorities were a little off.

So how many designers does it take to make Thanksgiving dinner?  
Certainly more than two!

Luckily between all of us we were able to finish everything up before the turkey got too cold.  And seriously- you'd never know the turkey was cold looking at this picture and that's all that's important, right?!  (I obviously haven't learned my lesson yet...)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Your Thanksgiving was beautiful! Much prettier than Ben and I sitting on the couch with giant pieces of pie and a whole bottle of sparkling cider between us. Playing video games.

That pie is incredibel.

Lauren said...

This is the funniest story ever! I think the table decor/dessert is the last thing I think about so we should really get together for the perfect celebration.

Looks like fun. Wish we could have been there!

gregandlaura said...

you are seriously amazing! that pie?? and the cookies? my gosh -I just wanted more pictures!! :) oh - and I didn't' get to tell you, those puppets???!!!! ADORABLE!! You never cease to amaze me!!! Those were the cutest things ever!